The Chin Family Website (www.thechinfamily.hk) is owned and managed by the Investor Education Centre ("IEC").
1. Statement of Policy
The IEC respects personal data privacy and are committed to complying with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance ("PDPO"). In doing so, the IEC will strive to ensure compliance by our staff with the strictest standards of security and confidentiality.
2. Statement of practice on personal data held by us
We may collect and hold personal data in performing our statutory functions under the relevant laws and regulations. When we collect personal data from individuals, we will provide them with a Personal Information Collection Statement (PICS) on or before the collection in an appropriate format and manner. The PICS will state (among other matters) the purpose of the collection.
Personal data is collected by the IEC on a voluntary basis. Personal data may include names, e-mail addresses and other contact details. The broad categories of personal data held by us, and the main purposes of use are:
- Personal data provided for enrolment in events/activities, research, statistical or evaluation purposes will be used for those or for directly related purposes.
- Enquiry and complaint records, used for responding to enquiries and complaints, and performing our statutory and administrative functions and activities;
- Records collected via our websites, used for the purposes stated in section 3 below;
- Other administration and operational records, used for various purposes depending on the nature of the record (e.g. for administration of functions and activities, organizing and delivering promotional, educational and training activities, subscription of publications etc.).
3. Personal data collected via forms / through this website
- The information you provide in the "Contact Us" section is used by the IEC to respond to or handle your enquiries, comments or suggestions. The personal data will not be used for any other purposes without your consent, unless such use is permitted or required by law.
- Personal data collected from subscribers of the update service is used by the IEC to alert you, send you copies of the requested information and to compile statistics of readership. The personal data will not be used for any other purposes without your consent unless such use is permitted or required by law.
- Personal data provided by a complainant will be used, disclosed or transferred only for those purposes related to the complaint, for discharging IEC's functions or where permitted or required by law. If the information provided is inaccurate or incomplete, consideration of the complaint may be affected.
4. Information collected when you visit our website
- When you visit this website, a record of your visit is made as a "hit", which may show your Internet Protocol (IP) address and the pages you have visited. No personally identifiable information is collected under this circumstance. The "hit" information allows the IEC to compile statistics about the number and types of visitors to this website.
- The cookies used in connection with this website does not collect or store personally identifiable information. You may refuse to accept cookies on your browser by modifying the settings in your browser. This will not affect your ability to browse this website. However, if you do so, you may not be able to utilize or activate certain functions available on this website (e.g. displaying "recently viewed" items for your revisit.)
Different retention periods apply to the various kinds of personal data collected and held by us. We take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that personal data will not be kept longer than is necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes (or any directly related purpose) for which the data is or is to be used, unless the retention is otherwise permitted or required by law.
- Personal data provided under the "Contact Us" section will be automatically deleted 90 days after any follow-up action has been completed.
- Personal data provided when you sign up for the update service will automatically be deleted 90 days after you unsubscribe from the service.
- Personal data provided when you sign up to enrol in future activities will be deleted 90 days after you inform us that you no longer wish to be informed about our events or activities.
- Personal data provided for research and evaluation purpose will be deleted 90 days after any follow-up survey is completed.
- Personal data provided by a complainant will be retained for such period as may be necessary for the proper discharge of the IEC's functions.
We take appropriate steps to protect personal data we hold against loss, unauthorized access, use, modification or disclosure. All personal data you provide to the IEC under this website is secured on this website. Access is limited to authorised personnel within the IEC only. The transmission of any information online is not secured by encryption.
7. Access and correction/ enquiries
If you have any enquiries about personal data or wish to request access to and/or correction of your personal data held by the IEC, you may do so in writing addressed to:
Data Privacy Officer,
Investor Education Centre,
21/F Cheung Kong Center,
2 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong.
Please note that all data access requests should be made using the form specified by the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data which is accessible from the following link: "Data Access Request Form". The IEC will handle access and/or correction requests in accordance with the PDPO.
The IEC does not provide online facilities for you to delete or correct personal data held by the IEC.